Friday, July 25, 2008

10 things I hate about iPhoto

So this was going to be a pretty post full of pictures and WIPs and whatnot. And then iPhoto decided it didn't want to play nice with Flickr (or the rest of my computer for that matter) today. So in lieu of pretty knitting, I give you the official list of the top 10 things I hate about iPhoto.

10. You can't make events within events. I'm an anal organizer type...one tier is just not enough!
9. It has its own trash can for no apparent reason.
8. Editing is non-destructive (great concept) which means it takes up twice as much space as necessary.
7. You can't get to the pictures in iPhoto without having the application open without minor hacking.
6. Major hacking for easy photo access, while less convenient is possible, until your computer randomly decides to reject the hack in every view except cover flow. Why does it make a difference how I'm looking at the same files?
5. It makes editing so easy that I don't want to not use it, even though it drives me crazy. Why can't it just be an all around icky program?
4. Tagging things so they're easy to find later takes FOREVER!
3. Some pictures can be copied to a folder somewhere else, but others just refuse to cooperate in the slightest.
2. It doesn't play nicely with Flickr on a good day.
1. It's broken when I really really really need to do things involving getting my pictures OUT of iPhoto! Not just for blogging; for class, too.

< /rant >

So knitting update minus visuals. My yarn to finish the monkey socks for my mom got here, so those will be done soon. I have a cables and bobbles scarf on the needles to match mitts I finished yesterday. Next up will be my first getting-paid-to-knit project! My mom's friend desperately wants stripy fall socks, and while I offered about four times to just make her some, she's insisting on paying me. I guess I can't complain too much. I just hope the yarn works out ok. Her request was for self striping socks, very plain (just rib and stockinette), and only a couple inches above the ankle. I'm not 100% sure this yarn is self striping, as my German is not really advanced enough for deciphering yarn labels. If it turns out not to be, I guess Mama Kellie can have them, and I'll go somewhere else to look for self striping fall yarn.

No comments: